Carmen FortesPh.D. Candidate
Office: 286 SS&H
Office hours: M, 10:30 am -12:30 pm & by Appointment
Classes: Soc 151: Criminal Justice System, MWF 9:00-9:50 am
- M.A. - Sociology, University of California, Davis, March 2009
- B.A. - Sociology, University of California, Davis, June 2006
- A.A. - Social Sciences, Sacramento City College, May 2004
Research and Teaching Interests
- Criminology; ex-offender reentry and social reintegration
- Sociology of Gender; gender, masculinities, sexuality and race
- Felmlee, Diane; David Orzechowicz and Carmen Fortes. 2010. “Fairy Tails: Attraction Processes in Same-Gender Relationships.” Sex Roles 62: 226-240.
- Fortes, Carmen. 2006. "Myths and Enchantment Tales: Attraction and Disillusionment in Same-sex Romantic Relationships." The McNair Scholars Journal of the University of California, Davis Volume VIII.
Papers in Progress
- "Creating A Space for Ourselves: Gender Identities at Play in 'The Hole In the Wall Saloon'."
- "The Other Side of Legitimacy: Marriage Equality and the Death of the 'Gay Bar.'"
- Research Coordinator. Adolescent Aggression Study, PI: Diane Felmlee, Fall 2011. (Continuation of the with PI's )
- Research Assistant. Developing A Guardian Teachers Program at UC Davis Project, PI's: Cynthia Sensiper, Barbara Goldman, and Arnette Bates. Fall 2011.
- Research Coordinator. Fatal Attraction: Disenchantment Processes in Intimate Relationships Study, PI: Diane Felmlee. Spring 2009-Fall 2010.
- Research Assistant. Gifford Center for Population Studies project, PI: David Kyle. Summer 2009.
- Research Assistant. Dynamics of Dyadic Interactions Study, An interdisciplinary project, UC Davis, PI: Emilio Ferrer, Summer 2006.
- Research Assistant. Collective Protests and Civic Action in New Immigrant Gateway Cities study, PI: Dina Okamoto. Spring 2006.
Associate Instructor, Department of Sociology, University of California, Davis.
- Race Relations, Summer Session I 2013
- Juvenile Delinquency, Winter 2013; Summer Session I 2012
- Workshop in Field Research, Spring 2011
Teaching Assistant, Department of Sociology, University of California, Davis.
- Sociology of Law, Instructor: Ryken Grattet, Spring 2012
- Criminology, Instructor: Teresa Casey, Winter 2012.
- Quantitative Analysis in Sociology, Instructor: L.E. Cohen, Winter 20009, Winter 2010, and Winter 2011.
- Criminology, Instructor: L.E. Cohen, Fall 2010, Spring 2008, and Fall 2007, Fall 2012.
- Criminal Justice System, Instructor: L.E. Cohen, Spring, 2011, and Spring 2008, Spring 2013.
- Juvenile Delinquency, Instructor: L.E. Cohen, Fall 2010, Fall 2009, and Fall 2007.
- Violence and Inequality (reader), Instructor: Mary Jackman, Winter 2011.
- Introduction to Sociology, Instructor: Ellen Robert, Spring 2010.
- Sociology of World Development (reader), Instructor: Kerstin Lüeck, Winter 2009 and Winter 2010.
- Sociology of Gender, Instructor: Diane Felmlee, Fall 2008.
Presentations, Conferences, Workshops
- Panel organizer and moderator. "Surviving, Striving, and Surviving: Women of Color in the Social Sciences and Humanities." 2013 First Annual Women of Color Conference, University of California, Davis, May 2013.
- "Creating A Space for Ourselves: Gender Identities at Play in 'The Hole In the Wall Saloon'.” Spaces & Flows International Conference, University of California, Los Angeles, December 2010.
- Panel organizer. "Categorical Difficulties: Trans Subjects and the Politics of Legibility." Trans Action Week Academic Panel, University of California, Davis, November 2010.
- “Gender Identities at Play in 'The Hole in the Wall Saloon': An Ethnographic Study of Ritual Behavior.” Pacific Sociological Association Annual Meeting, April 2010.
- Workshop organizer. "Incorporating Geographic Information Systems into Sociological Research." UC Davis Department of Sociology Professional Development Workshop Series, Spring 2009.
- "Fairy Tales: Attraction in Same-sex Relationships." Roundtable. American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, August 2008.
- Co-presenter. "Using EndNote and Endnote Web." UC Davis Department of Sociology Professional Development Workshop Series, Winter 2008.
- Co-presenter. “Fairy Tales: Attraction in Same-sex Relationships” Pacific Sociological Association Annual Meeting, March 2007.
Fellowships, Honors, Awards
- Graduate Student Travel Award, Office of Graduate Studies, UC Davis, Fall 2010.
- Sociology Department Small Research Grant, UC Davis, Spring 2009.
- Sociology Department Travel Award, UC Davis, August 2008.
- American Sociological Association Student Forum Travel Award, UC Davis, August 2008.
- Ronald E. McNair Scholars Fellowship, UC Davis, 2006-2007.
- Representative, UC Davis Graduate Student Association (GSA), 2011-2012.
- Co-chair, Queer, Feminist, and Transgender Studies Research Cluster, a UC Davis Humanities Institute Research Cluster, 2010-2011.
- Discussant for the Race/Ethnicity and Social Relations session, UC Davis Sociology Graduate Student Research Development Conference, Fall 2010.
- Discussant for UC Davis Power and Inequalities Workshop paper on sexuality, culture, and the closet in theme park parades, April 2010.
- Representative to the computer committee for the UC Davis Graduate Sociology Student Association, 2007-2009.
- Executive Board Member and Community Outreach Coordinator for the UC Davis Black Graduate & Professional Student Association, 2007-2008.