David Kyle(1) Associate Professor, Sociology; (2) UCD Faculty Director, UC Global Health Institute
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
Office: 2265 SS&H
Office hours: Wednesday 10:30-12:00
- My current research (with John Dale, George Mason, and other collaborators) engages the intersection of creativity, cognitive migration, and the social management of the imagination. Empirical research projects underway or in the planning phase concern human mobility in the context of climate change and health scenarios (CA/Mexico), social entrepreneurs and social investors, and the dreaming and planning phase of big decisions. Other recent proposals submitted are in the areas of the psychology and sociology of musical memories and musical creativity. Running through this work is a deep exploration of creative agency and human freedom with special attention to meso-level brokering during the forecasting phase of individual and collective social action. I've taught jazz piano privately for eight years.
- Kyle, David. 2011. Global Human Smuggling: Comparative Perspectives, 2nd Edition (co-edited with Rey Koslowski). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Kyle, David. 2000. . Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- SOC 46a, Research Methods
- Soc 1, Intro to Sociology
- SOC 138, Economic Sociology
- SOC/ IRE 104 International Migrations
- SOC 145/ 245 Sociology of Comparative Development
- UC Global Health Institute
- Geography Graduate Group
- John Muir Institute on the Environment
- Advisory Committee