Diane L Wolf
Director, Jewish Studies Program
Office Hours for Fall 2016 :
- Fall 2016: As of 10/11: I am currently out due to a medical emergency and hope to return soon; pls. email me. Otherwise: Most Thursdays, 10am-noon except for the following times: Fri 10/28: 10-noon; Friday 11/18: 10-noon; 12/2 and 12/9: tba. Best to email me for an appt at: email@example.com
- Ph.D., Cornell University
- Gender and Family Studies
- Fieldwork Methodology
- Children of Immigrants/Refugees; Memory and Trauma; Jewish Studies
The thread that links all my research and publications is that of family dynamics amidst structural transformations, usually with a focus on gender. My book, Beyond Anne Frank: Jewish Families in Postwar Holland (U.C. Press, 2007) analyzed childhood memory, family dynamics and trauma during and after war and genocide. I published a chapter for a methods book on Children in Religion that focuses on the issue of children's agency as well as children and memory as well as an article onthe socio-historical parameters of "the best interest of the child" in relation to the case study of orphaned Jewish children in the Netherlands after WWII. My interest in the interrelationships between identity, memory and trauma is also reflected in a book I co-edited, also in 2007: When Sociology Confronts the Holocaust: Memories and Identities in Jewish Diasporas (Duke University Press). Yen Le Espiritu and I published an article focused on a critical juxtaposition of the Holocaust and the Vietnam War in American cultural memory in Social Identities. Currently, I am analyzing family dynamics in families where at least one parent is a Holocaust survivor in order to critically address the assumption of the inter-generational transmission of trauma.
- Beyond Anne Frank: Hidden Children and Postwar Families in Holland. UC Press (2007)
- Sociology Confronts the Holocaust: Identities and Memories in Jewish Diasporas. Co-edited with Judith Gerson. Duke Univ. Press (2007)
- Feminizing Global Research Globalizing Feminist Research: Methods and Practice Under Globalization in Handbook of Feminist Research: Theory and Praxis. (2nd ed) Sage Publications. 2011. (With Jennifer Bickham Mendez).