Office Hours for Winter 2015 :
- Mondays 3-5
- Thursdays 8:30-10
- By appointment
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
- Organizations, Work, and Employment
- Field Methods
Current Research Projects
Vicki Smith focuses primarily on changes in work and employment relationships, with an eye to how these changes create and perpetuate distinct forms of inequality and destablization for American workers. Past projects include the rise and institutionalization of temporary employment, workplace flexibility, worker participation programs, and how new labor market practices shape people's job search and employability strategies. Her two-volume encyclopedia on the sociology of work was recently published by Sage and has been selected by Choice magazine as a 2013 "Outstanding Academic Title." The encyclopedia covers cutting-edge topics in the field and includes over 300 contributors, many of whom are leading scholars of the sociology of work and employment. The special issue of Academy of Management Review on "Theorizing About Work and Working" (which she co-edited with Dave Lepak, Karen Lee Ashcraft, Kevin Steensma, Giuseppe Labianca, and Gerardo Okhuysen) was published in Fall 2013 (Vol. 38/4).
Currently, Smith has several papers in the pipeline from her Spencer-Foundation funded research on high school counselors in northern California, a project on employability strategies of low-wage workers in the Napa/Sonoma area (with GSR Brian Halpin, UCD Sociology; funded by the UCD Poverty Research Center; view our Policy Brief here http://poverty.ucdavis.edu/policy-brief/low-wage-work-uncertainty-often-traps-low-wage-workers), and a meta-review of the practice of researching work for a Sage Handbook of the Sociology of Work and Employment to be edited by Stephen Edgell, Heidi Gottfried, and Edward Granter.
Smith, Vicki and Neuwirth, Esther B. 2008.. Ithaca:Cornell University/ILR Press.
- Smith, Vicki (ed). 2006. Research in the Sociology of Work: Worker Participation, Practices and Possibilities. Vol. 16. Amsterdam: Elsevier/JAI Press.
- Smith, Vicki. 2001. Crossing the Great Divide: Worker Risk and Opportunity in the New Economy. Ithaca:Cornell University/ILR Press.
- Smith, Vicki. 1990. Managing in the Corporate Interest: Control and Resistance in an American Bank. Berkeley: University of California Press.