New Students

Welcome to UC Davis's Department of Sociology! In this section, you will find information, links, and resources to help with your transition to UC Davis.

First Steps


Navigating UC Davis


Save the dates and register for the following orientations:


Spring 2022

Holistic U 



International Graduate Student Orientation (IGSO)

Required for new international students


Graduate Student Orientation (GSO) 


Late September 2022

Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientation 


Course: SOC 390A, Register for Fall

Sociology Graduate Student Orientation

Required for new TAs

Additional Trainings

Establishing Residency

Domestic nonresidents should petition for California residency before the start of their second year so they are not subject to the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition fee (NRST). Students should begin establishing residency in their first year. 


If you have questions about establishing residency, please contact the .

Campus Resources

WarnMe Campus emergency alert system. You must sign up to receive alerts.

Graduate Studies

Office that oversees graduate programs at UC Davis and provides services for graduate students.


Program that offers professional development workshops and training for graduate students and postdocs.
Financial Aid and Scholarships Office that provides guidance on student loans, including Emergency, Short-Time, or Assistant Loans.
Student Health and Counseling Services Unit that provides medical and counseling services to students. UC SHIP benefits are detailed here.
Counseling Services for Graduate Students  Graduate Studies has a dedicated staff psychologist, , who provides counseling services for graduate students. 
Services for International Students and Scholars Office that supports international students. Make sure to complete their Pre-Arrival and Arrival checklists. Students are assigned advisors based on the student's last name. Find your advisor here.
Student Disability Center Unit designated to receive requests for accommodation, approve services, and coordinate support for students with disabilities to ensure equal access to the University’s educational programs.
WorkLife Office Administers the Student Parent Child Care Funding Program. Graduate students who are parents are eligible to apply for the Graduate Student Child Care Grant (GSCCG) and the Community Based Care Grant (CBCG). 
Library Graduate students have electronic access to library databases and may borrow up to 300 items for a term. Access privileges for graduate students are detailed here.