Alpha Kappa Delta is the international honor society for sociology students who excel academically.
The UC Davis Department of Sociology hosts the Upsilon chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD), an excellent means through which to enhance the undergraduate experience. Headquartered in Syracuse, New York, Alpha Kappa Delta recognizes and promotes excellence and scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and other social and intellectual activities intended to lead to improvement in the human condition. AKD is a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Athropon Katamannthanein Diakonesin or "to investigate humanity for the purpose of service."
- Membership Benefits
- - Lifetime membership, with no annual dues after the initial $40 payment
- Certificate of membership and a membership card
- Free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of the society
- Opportunity to purchase AKD merchandise such as graduation ceremony honor cords
- Undergraduate and graduate student paper competitions with cash prizes and travel money to participate in the American Sociological Association (ASA) annual meeting
- Student travel money to make presentations at regional sociological meetings
- A mentorship program, and networking with other AKD members via social media, including a member-exclusive LinkedIn page
In addition, AKD members meet one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in federal employment if AKD membership is listed on their applications.
- Membership Eligibility
1. Declared major in Sociology or Sociology-Organizational Studies
2. Cumulative GPA of at least 3.3
3. Completed at least four regular letter-graded sociology courses at UC Davis
4. Sociology GPA of at least 3.0
5. Junior, senior, or graduate standing
Please consult an undergraduate advisor if you have any questions or want to discuss your eligibility.
Apply for Membership
The AKD application is available during active membership application periods only. Please watch for emails from the Sociology Advising Office or you can contact Caroline at email@example.com with questions.